20 Important Safety Tips for Forklifts
In this post we offer 20 Important Safety Tips for Forklifts to reduce workplace injuries and increase worker safety.
OSHA statistics indicate that there are roughly 85 forklift fatalities and 34,900 serious injuries each year, 42 percent of which come from the operator being crushed by a tipping vehicle (www.ohsonline.com). We can reduce those numbers by ensuring all of our warehouse workers are not only properly educated and trained to safely operate forklifts but are also refreshed on important safety details. It’s the duty of everyone in a warehouse to remind each other the proper safety procedure when not only operating a forklift but working near one as a pedestrian. To help do that, here are 20 safety tips for forklifts operation.
- Operators must be qualified.
- Appropriate clothing must be worn
- Examine Equipment before use
- Before Starting the forklift ensure all controls are within easy reach and seating is correct
- Consider the surrounding environment
- Operate at a safe speed
- Avoids possible hazards
- Ensure your load is stable and secure
- Make sure you have clear visibility
- Do not let others ride on forklift, forklifts are for carrying loads only
- Keep clear of the Mast
- Ramps – move forward up ramps and reverse down ramps
- Do not overload the forklift
- Ensure the load is evenly distributed
- Refuel only at speciality designed locations
- AT shift end park in a designated area. Lower the forks and apply brake.
- Perform inspections prior to using a forklift.
- Following forklift refuelling procedures.
- Understand and follow good practice to ensure forklift stability and load stability
- Separate forklift and pedestrian traffic in work areas
IMEC Technologies provides Safety Management Software to increase worker safety and aid compliance. IMEC’s Safety Management Software will manage inspections and audits, provides hazard identification, incident reporting, management of corrective and preventative actions from generation to closure. IMEC provides lock out tag out software solutions that will allow users to create lockout tagout procedures using an intuitive Mobile App and Manage Lockout Tagout Procedures, also the Review and Execution of those Lockout Tagout Procedures using the Mobile App. Annual Lockout Tagout Procedures audits are conducted using a Mobile App. The Mobile Inspection App allow users to perform inspections and audits, for example the system can be used as a Fire Extinguisher Barcode Inspection Software system to manage monthly fire extinguisher inspections and general fire safety inspections and also to record safety observations and manage corrective actions, anywhere and anytime. The solution can be used as a fire extinguisher barcode inspection software system or life safety inspection system to aid compliance in Higher Education, Healthcare, Industrial and Commercial Organizations. Benefits from a Fire Extinguisher Barcode System include the elimination of paperwork and reducing the burden of compliance with regulations such as NFPA, The Joint Commission. The Incident Reporting App allows users to easily and quickly report incidents, hazards and near-misses, these are then sent to the appropriate people for action and are managed to closure. Web Apps provide features such as, setup, management, scheduling tools, analysis, reporting and dashboards etc with the ability to report incidents to government bodies such as OSHA and RIDDOR. HazMat T&T is a hazardous waste management software solution designed for Environmental Service Companies and companies who generate a large quantity of hazardous waste. The solution tracks hazardous waste from cradle to grave aiding compliance, providing accurate waste inventory, increasing waste handling efficiency, reducing risk and also helps manage waste costs. HazMat T&T Hazardous Waste Management Software can be deployed in a number of deployment scenarios, from Large Hazardous Waste Generators, tracking their hazardous waste at their site to Environmental Service and Waste Management Companies using it track and manage hazardous waste at transfer and disposal sites. For more information visit our website www.imectechnologies.com